Why Private Pilates is Perfect for Athletes
While pilates may not be the first form of exercise you’d think of for an athlete, there are many benefits for athletes. In fact, many athletes incorporate pilates practice into their daily exercise routine in an effort to improve performance, balance and core strength.
At Sheppard Method Pilates, we offer group instruction, small classes or even private pilates courses for athletes who want one-on-one training. But before you jump into it, here are just a few of the many benefits of pilates for athletes.
- Improves balance. Balance is essential for all sporting activities and private pilates instruction gives athletes the opportunity to focus on improving it. Having a balanced body allows athletes to be quicker on their feet while maintaining a strong center and base. Muscle imbalance is one of the main causes for injury, so maintaining a balanced body is key to athletic success.
- Builds core strength. Core strength is of the utmost importance as an athlete, as it gives you the power you need to hit harder and move faster. Strengthening your core will improve all aspects of athletic ability and increase overall muscle performance both on and off the field.
- Increases flexibility. Private pilates training also increases flexibility by strengthening and lengthening the muscles. Improved flexibility results in better performance for all types of athletes and also reduces injury.
- Lengthens muscles. Long, lean muscles are less susceptible to injury and the natural, fluid motions of pilates exercises also improve movement in a variety of sports. Athletes always benefits from more efficient use of their muscles and ease of movement will improve with pilates practice.
- Individual focus. By training privately with a pilates instructor, athletes receive one-on-one attention and can customize each session to meet their individuals needs.
Learn More About the Benefits of Private Pilates for Athletes
As you can see, there are countless ways pilates can benefit athletes of all kinds. Whether you’re a professional baseball player or a high school student aspiring to make it to the college level and beyond, adding pilates to your daily exercise routine is one of the best things you can do for yourself!
If you’re interested in learning more about the benefits of private pilates for athletes, please continue to browse our blog and website for additional details. If you’d like to speak with an instructor or schedule a private pilates session, please call Sheppard Method Pilates at 310-470-2828. We’d love to set you up with one of our instructors!