Post-Natal Exercise with the Pilates Reformer
Pre-natal exercise with the pilates reformer is extremely healthy and often encouraged, but did you know that the pilates reformer is also great for post-natal exercise? A woman’s body goes through many changes and challenges during pregnancy and sometimes getting back into the swing of things after childbirth can be difficult.
If you have recently given birth to a new baby and are struggling to find a form of exercise to ease back into physical activity, consider giving the pilates reformer a try. Here are some reasons to consider.
- Strengthens pelvic floor muscles. Many women suffer from urinary incontinence after childbirth. Regular exercises with the pilates reformer strengthens pelvic floor muscles to restore what was lost during childbirth.
- Work abdominal muscles. Throughout the duration of a pregnancy, a woman’s abdominal muscles are stretched and weakened. The pilates reformer increases the strength of abdominal muscles by performing natural, fluid motions and exercises. This gradually re-builds core strength and helps restore a balanced body.
- Realign hips and back. Pregnancy also put a lot of stress on the hips and backs, causing an imbalance that results in weak muscles, loss of flexibility and even pain. Post-natal pilates helps re-align the hips and back after childbirth so you can finally be comfortable and pain-free again.
- No risk for injury. It is recommended that women wait six weeks after giving vaginal birth before engaging in physical exercise. Women who have had a c-section need to wait 8-12 weeks. Pilates is a very safe post-natal exercise, as it is gentle and can be adjusted to meet the needs of each individual.
- Time to focus on you. With a newborn, “me time” is virtually non-existent. Pilates reformer classes give you a regular block of time to focus on your own health and wellbeing as well as socialize with other moms who are going through the same process.
Start Your Post-Natal Pilates Reformer Training Today
At Sheppard Method Pilates, we offer prenatal and postnatal pilates reformer classes for mothers who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle after childbirth. Whether you’re looking for a way to ease back into your workouts or you’re struggling with back pain and urinary incontinence, let us help you regain that much-needed balance, both in life and in your body.
Contact Sheppard Method Pilates today to learn more about our pilates reformer classes, to meet with an instructor or to sign up for a course session.